Friday, September 22, 2017
Those of us who thoroughly enjoyed the cult-favorite made-for-tv horror movie from 1973, "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark," recall the creatures. Those tiny little nighttime beings horrified many a youth back in the day. But, they were actually based on a concept of a small being created by alchemy called, "homunculi." (singular "homunculus")
Thursday, September 21, 2017
As a psychic myself, people often ask me, do you ever utilize a psychic's input? Well, I will tell you because I'm so subjective to myself, I don't trust any psychic input I get in relation to my own situation because there is a conflicting environment - my own self concepts, wishes and desires, fears and apprehension that make it impossible to give it merit. So, who have I found that could actually read me, a person with a fair amount of obstacles?
Are you getting in the Halloween mood? While the youth of today experience a less tactile Halloween than middle agers did, we are left wondering "how do I get the spirit back?" Well, it's time to claim Halloween and my book "Adult Halloween: Taking Back the Season!" shows you how!
Let's face it, mass-made Halloween masks don't really do it for most of us. We see vintage pictures of old handmade masks and cringe. They are nondescript and vague, emotionless, like demon-possessed bits of folk art. So, how do we get that look without paying for an actual vintage mask?
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
An abandoned base in the California desert became an off-grid, lawless, and interesting squatting site. It sits 156 miles northeast of San Diego. Some of the residents come like snowbirds for the gentle winters, coming in campers. Others stay all year. Solar panels and generators abound.
If you love Halloween, then the Halloween bug starts to bite you around August when items go up in the stores and the heat has you wanting autumn to come NOW! Here's some ways to start getting your Halloween mood activated to a higher level as October approaches -
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
John Carpenter's 1980 movie, "The Fog," has become a classic to most horror lovers. The reason is pretty straightforward, you take something from nature and make it sentient and it is terrifying. We are helpless enough in fog, but then add vengeful ghosts and we are in terror.
Monday, September 18, 2017
Sunday, September 17, 2017
Saturday, September 16, 2017
There is little more romantic and tragic as the life of a lighthouse keeper. It was a lonely isolated business that involved long hours with nothing more than the pounding of water on the rocks and cries of seagulls for company. In that very isolation, a sort of cabin fever syndrome could create some pretty tragic outcomes. Let's have a look at the life of a lighthouse keeper of the past.
When this teaser showed up on JLC's Instagram, the public took notice. Was it a teaser for an upcoming installment of our favorite horror series or was it just a holiday prank? Well, the answer is in and...
Friday, September 15, 2017
("Magic" 1978 movie with Anthony Hopkins--horrifying!)
Admit it, If you had to sit alone in a room with a ventriloquist doll, wouldn't you keep your eyes on it? You don't really know what the booger will do when you turn away. What if you turn back and he's not where he's supposed to be? What if he's crept up behind you, tapped on you shoulder? Said your name in that creepy little voice? Oh, you know the voice, nasally and childish, but spoken like a fussy old curmudgeon.
Thursday, September 14, 2017
Marionettes are dolls held by strings and manipulated by those hiding behind the screen or curtain. Their stilted almost drunken movements are disturbing to watch, combining what we fear about ventriloquist dolls with their human controller and slack jaw with the ability to animate.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
Shirley Jackson, author of The Haunting of Hill House, had a paranormal bend to her concept, but when director Robert Wise made the movie in 1963, he wanted to bend toward mental illness as a possibility. Ultimately, one of the finest horror novels of our time became an excellent movie. Today, Netflix has decided to take the book's concept and turn it into a series, much to horror-lovers' delight!
at 12:00:00 PM
(this is a guest post)
The history of the Ouija board dates back to as early as 1100 A.D., where the automatic writing that occurs when you use this board was mentioned in some historical Chinese documents. This practice has not been seen in Asia alone but also in other countries such as Greece and Rome.
Nowadays, there is a certain stigma to the use of the Ouija board. It has the topic of many a scary story and horror films. The scientific community does not fully recognize it the religious community continuously warn against the misuse of it.
But using an Ouija board has certain advantages, like the ones listed below.
1. You can use it during intimate gatherings – there are many teenagers who use the Ouija board as a form of entertainment but experts who use this professionally warn against that. It is not a tool to use just for fun. If you decide to use this in an intimate gathering, you not only need to make sure that everyone is comfortable with it but it also good to get a professional to help you, especially if it is your first time. Experts say that there is a proper way to use the board so you need to be wary and careful.
2. To form a bond with your friends – if you want a different way of bonding with your friends, especially for those who are interested in the paranormal, this would be a good idea. But don’t just attempt it anytime you want to, it’s important that you study and do your own research on what the real purpose of the Ouija board is so that you will not make any mistakes.
3. To discover more about the paranormal and spiritual world – more and more people are getting interested in the paranormal. The mystery of how the Ouija board works is one of those. There are still many who are skeptical, especially those who are inclined to science, but more and more people have opened their minds to the endless possibilities.
4. To connect with a deceased loved one – this is the reason why most people want to use the Ouija board. Whether it’s to find closure from the death of someone they love, or because they just want to fill the need of communicating with their loved one again, the Ouija board has made many people happy as they really felt that they were able to connect with their deceased family or friend. The important thing when trying to connect to the dead is that you should be very careful. Go here to read up on Ouija board rules so you can be assured that you are doing it properly.
5. To connect with famous people who are dead - aside from talking to their deceased loved ones, some people have also claimed to have talked to the spirits of famous people who have died long ago. There are some documented instances of this and you can do your research to find out just how these people were inspired by those encounters.
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
The ice in Antarctica averages over a mile deep. But, researchers have probed some of the volcanic areas to find some real shockers!
Lawn gnomes are cheerful and yet...creepy. They are garden dwarfs whose origin was in 19th Century Germany. Even though they are best known as happy little garden statues that are protectors of our prize begonias and daisies, they are also considered the object of pranking or "gnoming" someone.
Monday, September 11, 2017
Sunday, September 10, 2017
There are loads of movies about haunted houses, but only some of them move us in ways that have us yelling at the screen, "get out!" Unseen entities are the most terrifying theme and knowing that they are around you in your most intimate moments and while you sleep, well, that is what nightmares are made of. Let me share what I believe are the top 10 most realistic haunted house movies.
Saturday, September 9, 2017
Friday, September 8, 2017
It's interesting how we live in a fading infrastructure of the baby boomer growth. Beside shining new glass and steel buildings sit sagging abandoned mid century gems. Photographing abandoned places is a strangely addictive hobby and a rewarding experience. It not only forces you to find beauty in derelict structures, but it makes you wonder about history....
Thursday, September 7, 2017
Wednesday, September 6, 2017
It is interesting to note what different cultures around the world consider the scariest places. There seems to be a uniform acceptance that any place with tragedy and death is scary, as well as any location that is barren, desolate, and abandoned. Let's have a look at Scariest Places On Earth!
Tuesday, September 5, 2017
Monday, September 4, 2017
The season brings out the troublemaker and avid horror lover in all of us. As kids, we performed many kinds of mayhem, but even as adults, we can't help playing chicken with the unknown. Here's just some of the scariest Halloween practices to explore again -
Sunday, September 3, 2017
I think all cities should budget for street art. They need to keep their artist community alive and breathing there and take a city, which can be a stressful environment, and show man's potential to make anything enchanting, hilarious, and even unsettling....
Saturday, September 2, 2017
Friday, September 1, 2017
My co-author and best friend Julie and I took a little road trip yesterday. Here's some things we found between New River, Arizona and Carefree, Arizona.
oil painting by me
Ghost ships are one of my favorite obsessions, but upon occasion, mummies are found on these out a sea, those who died aboard. Today, I'm combining my two favorite obsessions; accidental mummies and ghost ships! This one is high on the chillbumps factor -