Thursday, January 12, 2012
I am such a carnival freak that my favorite date is a roadside carnival.
My dream writing office? Decorated as a carnival with a Zoltar machine!
Want to find a carnival? Look here.
Consider just staying home and having some carnival food and a carnival movie --
Best carnival foods? Cotton candy, corn dog, deep fried twinkie.
4 cups vegetable oil
Flour for dusting
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight.
2. Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees.
3. Mix together milk, vinegar and oil.
4. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats.
6. Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake.
7. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browning. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most.
8. Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Movies with carnivals:
"The Jerk" (1979)
"The Funhouse" (1981)
at 2:30 AM